Asbestosis is a lung disease resulting from prolonged exposure to asbestos, a product once commonly used in the building and manufacturing industries.
Earlier detection and better treatments have improved the outlook for people with cystic fibrosis.
Tobacco smoke causes most cases of emphysema. Although quitting smoking can't reverse the damage, it can help keep this serious lung disease from becoming worse.
Pulmonary fibrosis results from scar tissue that forms in your lungs. This affects your ability to breathe and obtain enough oxygen.
High blood pressure affecting only the arteries in your lungs is known as pulmonary hypertension. Discover the symptoms, risk factors and treatment for this condition.
Sarcoidosis starts in your lungs but can cause inflammation in any part of your body. It can last a lifetime, or disappear in a few years.
Scleroderma is a group of rare diseases that involves hardening and thickening of the skin. Internal organs can also be damaged.
Feb. 12, 2015
- What is a lung transplant? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/lungtxp. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Mason RJ, et al. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 7, 2014.
- A guide to lung transplantation. American College of Chest Physicians. http://onebreath.org/document.doc?id=31. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your lung transplant. Rochester, Minn.; Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research: 2006.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 7, 2014.
- Vincent JL, et al. Textbook of Critical Care. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Partnering with your transplant team: The patient's guide to transplantation. United Network for Organ Sharing. http://www.unos.org/donation/index.php?topic=patient_brochures. Accessed June 7, 2014.
- Hachem RR. Lung transplantation: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.