Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of Mayo Clinic transplant patients.
Double Lung Transplant Recipient Beats Cystic Fibrosis to Become A Running and Fitness Enthusiast
When Tammy Bolerjack was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at age 18, she found herself frequently in and out of hospitals for treatments to help her breathe. Running 5K races and half-marathons certainly wasn’t something she envisioned in her future. Little did she know then that eventually a double lung transplant at Mayo Clinic's Florida campus would [...]
Mayo Clinic’s First Lung Transplant Recipient in Florida Makes Most of Every Moment for 15 Years and Counting
When Richard Oppelt arrived at Mayo Clinic's Rochester campus in early 2001, his lung capacity was minimal – only 21 percent of what it should have been. A sandblaster for 24 years, Richard, from Melbourne, Florida, had developed silicosis, a lung disease caused by breathing in silica dust, which can damage the lining of the [...]
Lung Cancer Patient Survives With Help of Novel Procedure, Celebrates Next Generation of Innovation
Raegan Cury didn’t worry at first when she developed a cough in early 2002 that wouldn’t go away. She was a healthy young woman, athletic, a former gymnast, and her initial chest X-ray showed what looked like pneumonia. Even her husband, a pulmonologist, wasn't too worried, until she received a surprising diagnosis. “I never thought [...]
Cystic Fibrosis Patient Says Double Lung Transplant Transformed His Life
Nobody knows better than Jon Jantomaso how precious every breath can be. The 49-year-old realtor from Seminole, Florida, was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at 2 months of age, and for the first 12 years of his life slept in a mist filled tent to help him breath and clear the mucus from his lungs. He [...]
Oct. 13, 2016
- What is a lung transplant? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/lungtxp. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Mason RJ, et al. Lung transplantation. In: Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Lung transplantation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Interventional and surgical approaches to lung disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 7, 2016.
- Vincent JL, et al. Lung transplantation. In: Textbook of Critical Care. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Hachem RR. Lung transplantation: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Hachem RR. Lung transplantation: General guidelines for recipient selection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Partnering with your transplant team: The patient's guide to transplantation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/learn/patient-education/. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Valapour M, et al. OPTN/SRTR annual data report 2014: Lung. American Journal of Transplantation. 2016;16:141.
- Bhorade S, et al. Induction immunosuppression following lung transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Bhorade S, et al. Maintenance immunosuppression following lung transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- What every patient needs to know. United Network for Organ Sharing. http://www.transplantliving.org/community/patient-resources/publications/. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Diet and exercise. United Network for Organ Sharing: Transplant living. http://www.transplantliving.org/after-the-transplant/staying-healthy/diet-and-exercise/. Accessed May 13, 2016.
- Palmer SM, et al. Bacterial infections following lung transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 13, 2016.
- What is pulmonary rehabilitation? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pulreh. Accessed July 13, 2016.
- Cypel M, et al. Lung transplantation: Procedure and postoperative management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- What is bronchoscopy? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bron. Accessed July 19, 2016.
- Erasmus DB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2016.
News, connections and conversations for your health
- Procedure details
- More about