Ataxia describes lack of muscle coordination while performing voluntary movements. A sign of an underlying condition, ataxia can affect any part of your body.
Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain usually caused by a viral infection. Severe cases can cause brain damage, even death.
Children of all ages experience headaches, but the causes aren't all the same. Here's how to help your child.
Legionnaires' disease, a severe form of pneumonia, is caused by bacteria that can live in water in air conditioning systems, showers and spas.
Fever, headache and stiff neck are common signs and symptoms of meningitis — an infection of the membranes and fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
A migraine isn't an ordinary headache. In addition to severe head pain, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Pseudotumor cerebri — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of increased pressure inside the skull.
Transverse myelitis — inflammation of the insulating material that covers nerve cells in your spine (myelin) — causes pain, muscle weakness and other problems.
West Nile virus infection usually resolves on its own, but occasionally it can be serious.
Dec. 06, 2014
- Lumbar puncture. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=SpinalTap. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- CSF Analysis. Lab Tests Online. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/csf/csf-exams. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Lumbar puncture (taking a sample of fluid from around the spinal cord). American Thoracic Society. http://www.thoracic.org/clinical/critical-care/patient-information/icu-devices-and-procedures/lumbar-puncture-taking-a-sample-of-fluid-from-around-the-spinal-cord.php. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Pfenninger JL, et al. Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 10, 2014.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 13, 2014.