In order to be eligible to donate an organ, you must fit several criteria, including:
Jan. 27, 2015
- Be at least 18 years old to donate a kidney, and generally be between ages 21 and 55 to donate part of a liver.
- Be in good physical and mental health.
- Have desire to be tested for compatibility and willingness to donate.
- Have blood and tissue type compatibility with the recipient. If you're incompatible with the recipient you may choose to participate in the paired kidney donation program.
- Be informed of the benefits and risks of being a donor.
- Be able to give informed consent to begin a screening and to become a donor.
- Have support from family members and friends regarding becoming a donor.
- Have no current alcohol or recreational drug abuse problems.
- Have no active chronic conditions, such as cancer, diabetes or infectious diseases, that would make you ineligible to donate an organ.