Alcohol can severely damage your liver — even moderate drinkers aren't immune. Learn more about this serious liver disease.
Alcohol abuse and hepatitis C infection are the leading causes of cirrhosis — a life-threatening condition that leads to irreversible liver scarring.
Cryptosporidium infection may cause diarrhea in healthy people, but for people with HIV/AIDS and weakened immune systems, the illness can cause serious complications.
Ehrlichiosis is a tick-borne disease that causes flu-like symptoms. When you're outdoors, be aware of steps to prevent tick bites.
An enlarged spleen is usually a sign of an underlying problem. Treatment varies, depending on what's causing the enlargement.
Although melanoma is commonly a type of skin cancer, it can also occur in your eye. Eye exams can often detect this rare cancer.
Gilbert's syndrome is a mild liver condition that causes slightly higher levels of bilirubin in your blood, but no ill effects.
Hemochromatosis causes your body to store large amounts of iron, which can cause life-threatening complications. The simple treatment is to regularly remove blood.
Having hepatitis B increases your risk of serious liver disease. Protect yourself with a hepatitis B vaccine.
More than 39 million people are living with HIV — the virus that causes AIDS. Millions more are likely to become infected in the next decade.
Lupus is a chronic disease that can affect your skin, joints and organs. With proper care, most people with lupus live relatively active, healthy lives.
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is associated with obesity and diabetes. Lifestyle changes may prevent it from becoming serious.
Primary sclerosing cholangitis causes inflammation and scarring within the bile ducts of your liver, eventually affecting your liver's ability to do its job properly.
Most cases of sepsis don't cause serious problems. But severe sepsis and septic shock can lead to death if not treated promptly.
In Wilson's disease, the body doesn't metabolize copper properly, causing excess amounts to accumulate in the liver and other organs.
Sep. 26, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 9, 2012.
- Liver panel. Lab Tests Online. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/liver-panel/tab/glance. Accessed July 9, 2012.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 17, 2012.
- What are blood tests? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/bdt/bdt_what.html. Accessed July 9, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Abnormal liver function tests - Approach to hepatitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- ALT. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8362. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- AST. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8360. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- ALP. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8340. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- Albumin. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8436. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- Total protein. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8520. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- Bilirubin. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8452. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- GGT. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8677. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- LD. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/8344. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.
- PT. Mayo Medical Laboratories test catalog. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/9236. Accessed Sept. 11, 2012.