Before the procedure, discuss with your surgeon what to expect from the surgery. Review your medical history, list any medical conditions you have, and tell the surgeon about any medications, supplements or herbs you're taking.
If your procedure requires the removal of only a small amount of fat, the surgery may be done in an office setting. If a large amount of fat needs to be removed — or if you plan to have other procedures done at the same time — the surgery may take place in a hospital followed by an overnight stay. In either case, arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure.
March 14, 2013
- Andrews RA, et al. Surgical management of severe obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Liposuction procedure: Lipoplasty, cosmetic procedures. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Cosmetic-Procedures/Liposuction.html. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Liposuction: What are the risks or complications? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/Liposuction/ucm256139.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Liposuction: What can I expect before, during, and after? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/Liposuction/ucm256146.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Coldiron B, et al. ASDS Guidelines of care for tumescent liposuction. Dermatologic Surgery. 2006;32:709.
- Habbema L. Breast reduction using liposuction with tumescent local anesthesia and powered cannulas. Dermatologic Surgery. 2009;35:41.
- Hernandez TL, et al. Fat redistribution following suction lipectomy: Defense of body fat and patterns of restoration. Obesity. 2011;19:1388.
- Swanson E. Photographic measurements in 301 cases of liposuction and abdominoplasty reveal fat reduction without redistribution. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;130:311e.
- Liposuction information. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/Liposuction/default.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.