Acne can affect people of all ages. Find out what causes acne and ways to keep breakouts under control.
Atopic dermatitis can be extremely itchy and uncomfortable. Find relief with these home care options and medical treatments.
Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Flying across multiple time zones disrupts your natural body rhythms, leading to sleep problems and other symptoms. Learn how to put jet lag to rest.
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that generally occurs in fall or winter. Light therapy and other treatments can help.
Mar. 20, 2013
- Gabbard GO, et al. Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2007. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=4§ionid=1337596. Accessed Feb. 19, 2013.
- Shirani A, et al. Illuminating rationale and uses for light therapy. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2009;5:155.
- Howland RH. Somatic therapies for seasonal affective disorder. Journal of Psychological Nursing. 2009;47:17.
- Sivamani RK, et al. The benefits and risks of ultraviolet tanning and its alternatives: The role of prudent sun exposure. Dermatologic Clinics. 2009;27:129.
- Reeves GM, et al. Improvement in depression scores after 1 hour of light therapy treatment in patients with seasonal affective disorder. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2012;200:51.
- Rastad C, et al. Improvement in fatigue, sleepiness, and health-related quality of life with bright light treatment in persons with seasonal affective disorder and subsyndromal SAD. Depression Research and Treatment. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/drt/2011/543906/. Accessed Feb. 19, 2013.
- Roecklein KA, et al. Cognitive and behavioral predictors of light therapy use. PLOSone. 2012;7:e39275. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039275. Accessed Feb. 19, 2013.
- Privitera MR, et al. Light therapy for seasonal affective disorder in a clinical office setting. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2010;16:387.
- Menter A, et al. Guidelines of care of the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;62:114.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
- Auger RR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 25, 2013.