Loss of blood flow to a bone leads to avascular necrosis — the death of bone tissue. This most commonly affects the thighbone, causing groin pain.
Find out what could cause knee pain.
The wear and tear of aging may take a toll on your joints. Find out how to manage osteoarthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis causes joint pain and swelling. Find out how it's treated and how to cope.
Stickler syndrome can affect multiple parts of your body, including your eyes, face, ears, bones and joints.
Water on the knee refers to excess fluid inside or around your knee joint. Find out what causes this common knee problem.
Oct. 30, 2012
- Martin GM, et al. Total knee arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Total knee replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00389. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1678/0.html. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..X0001-2--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Martin GM, et al. Complications of total knee arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Stuart MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 17, 2012.