How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Your surgeon will study X-rays of your knee to determine if osteotomy is appropriate and how much correction of the deformity is needed.
Because you'll be receiving anesthesia, you'll need to refrain from eating or drinking before the procedure. If you take daily medications, follow your surgeon's instructions on whether to take them the morning of your surgery.
July 26, 2014
- Martin GM, et al. Total knee arthroplasty. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Arthritis of the knee. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00212. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Osteotomy of the knee. . American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00591. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Wolcott M, et al. High tibial osteotomies in the young active patient. International Orthopaedics. 2010;34:161.
- Brouwer RW, et al. Osteotomy for treating knee osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004019.pub3/abstract. Accessed June 10, 2014.