An active life that includes sports may also include the risk of a torn ACL. Reduce your risk, and know when to get treatment.
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease includes a group of disorders that affect the peripheral nerves, causing muscle weakness and loss of muscle bulk. Treatment focuses on managing symptoms.
Chondromalacia patella is a knee condition that plagues many runners. It's often caused by overuse or injury.
Find out what could cause knee pain.
Muscular dystrophy is an inherited disease resulting in progressive weakness of the body's muscles. Some forms are milder; others, more severe.
Less common than an ACL knee injury, a torn posterior cruciate ligament can be painful and sideline you for months. Find out more.
Jul. 17, 2013
- Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1678/0.html. Accessed May 14, 2013.
- Brouwer RW, et al. Braces and orthoses for treating osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004020.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 14, 2013.
- Segal NA. Bracing and orthoses: A review of efficacy and mechanical effects for tibiofemoral osteoarthritis. PM&R. 2012;4:S89.
- Gross KD. Device use: Walking aids, braces and orthoses for symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2010;26:479.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Squyer E, et al. Unloader knee bracers for osteoarthritis: Do patients actually wear them? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2013;471:1982.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 15, 2013.