Acute kidney failure is the sudden loss of your kidneys' ability to filter waste from your bloodstream. Correcting the underlying cause increases the likelihood of recovery.
Chronic kidney disease, often caused by diabetes or high blood pressure, is the gradual loss of kidney function. Early detection and treatment can help.
Glomerulonephritis affects your kidneys' filtering function. Complications include high blood pressure, protein in the urine (proteinuria) and kidney failure.
Henoch-Schonlein purpura causes inflammation of small blood vessels (vasculitis) and often a purplish rash. It's most common in children ages 2 to 6.
IgA nephropathy (Berger's disease) is a kidney disorder caused by abnormal deposits of immunoglobulin A (IgA) inside your kidneys.
Jun. 19, 2012
- Kidney biopsy. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC). http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/biopsy/index.aspx. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Whittier WL, et al. Indications for and complications of renal biopsy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Walker PL. The renal biopsy. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2009;133:181.
- Kidney biopsy: A guide for patients. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozcopy.cfm?pdflink=11-10-0106_PatBro_RenalBiopsy.pdf. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6193-9..C2010-1-67932-1--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6193-9&uniqId=321553651-265. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Ginkgo. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- Fish oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- Garlic. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed June 4, 2012.