An intragastric balloon is a newer kind of weight-loss procedure. A saline-filled silicone balloon is placed in your stomach, which helps you lose weight by limiting how much you can eat. It also makes you feel fuller faster.
This procedure is an option if you're overweight or obese, and diet and exercise haven't worked for you.
Like other weight-loss procedures, an intragastric balloon requires commitment to a healthier lifestyle. You need to make permanent healthy changes to your diet and get regular exercise to help ensure the long-term success of the intragastric balloon procedure.
Nov. 05, 2015
- Abu Dayyeh BK, et al. ASGE Bariatric Endoscopy Task Force systematic review and meta-analysis assessing the ASGE PIVI thresholds for adopting endoscopic bariatric therapies. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2015;82:425.
- Abu Dayyeh BK, et al. Status evaluation report — Endoscopic bariatric therapies. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2015;81:5.
- Ponce J, et al. The REDUCE pivotal trial: A prospective, randomized controlled pivotal trial of a dual intragastric balloon for the treatment of obesity. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. In press. 2015. Accessed July 3, 2015.
- Bariatric surgery for severe obesity. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/bariatric-surgery-severe-obesity/Pages/bariatric-surgery-for-severe-obesity.aspx. Accessed July 5, 2015.
- Riggins EA. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 5, 2015.
- American College of Surgeons. https://www.facs.org/search/bariatric-surgery-centers?page=1&n=25&name=mayo. Accessed July 5, 2015.
- Medicare-approved facilities/trials/registries — Bariatric surgery. CMS.gov. http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-General-Information/MedicareApprovedFacilitie/Bariatric-Surgery.html. Accessed July 5, 2015.
- Abu Dayyeh BK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 6, 2015.
- Abu Dayyeh BK, et al. Abstract 444. Abstract presented at: Digestive Disease Week; May 16-19, 2015; Washington, D.C. Accessed Aug. 6, 2015.