Doctors and scientists at Mayo Clinic are dedicated to studying novel procedures to determine their potential for treatment of cancers.
Areas of IGRT-related research include:
- Evaluating new IGRT technologies and procedures such as adaptive radiation therapy and 4-D radiation simulation and treatment
- Biopsy validation of advanced imaging detection of aggressive disease
- Improving outcomes by integrating advanced imaging modalities for radiation treatment planning to individualize radiation target volumes and allow higher doses to better defined targets while sparing critical structures and organs
- Increasing the accuracy of radiotherapy delivery through the use of novel IGRT technologies and techniques for localization and verification of positioning during treatment
- Development and evaluation of best IGRT practices for proton therapy
- Utilization of advanced imaging technologies for patient assessment, to evaluate treatment response and guide therapy decisions
- Imaging drug-induced changes in tumor proliferation as a method for rapidly identifying those patients who are benefiting from a particular novel therapeutic strategy
- Assessment and development of radiation oncology information systems for efficient, safe and effective utilization and management of IGRT information
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on IGRT on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Nov. 19, 2014
- Gunderson LL. Clinical Radiation Oncology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clincalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 7, 2014.
- Jaffray DA. Image-guided radiotherapy: From current concept to future perspectives. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology. 2012;9:688.
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT). RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=igrt. Accessed Oct. 7, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. July 8, 2014.
- Fong de los Santos LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. Oct. 27, 2014.