Conversion disorder occurs when your response to stress shows up as seizures, paralysis or another physical symptom.
People with dissociative disorders escape their reality in involuntary, unhealthy ways, ranging from suppressing memories to assuming alternate identities. Recovery is possible.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Oct. 15, 2015
- Frequently asked questions about hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/FAQsAboutHypnosis/tabid/161/Default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Position statement regarding hypnosis. American Psychiatric Association. http://library.psych.org/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Stewart JH. Hypnosis in contemporary medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:511.
- Selecting a qualified professional. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/SelectingaQualifiedProfessional/tabid/137/Default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis today: Looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/pain/paindiary/pain-control-hypnosis. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/hypnosis. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165034062-3/0/1657/142.html?tocnode=5754. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypnosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Cordi MJ, et al. Deepening sleep by hypnotic suggestion. Sleep. 2014;37:1143.
- Cordi MJ, et al. Improving sleep and cognition by hypnotic suggestion in the elderly. Neuropsychologia. 2015;69:176.
- Randomized controlled trial of a cognitive-behavioral therapy plus hypnosis intervention to control fatigue in patients undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;32:557.