Conversion disorder occurs when your response to stress shows up as seizures, paralysis or another physical symptom.
People with dissociative disorders escape their reality in involuntary, unhealthy ways, ranging from suppressing memories to assuming alternate identities. Recovery is possible.
Indigestion can ruin meals and make you feel uncomfortable. Take steps to prevent symptoms like upset stomach, bloating and pain.
Nonulcer stomach pain, a type of indigestion, commonly causes pain or discomfort in your upper abdomen.
Quitting smoking is hard, no question. Use these tried-and-true strategies to help you quit, and refer back to them as often as needed.
Rebound headaches — Is your pain medication causing more headaches than it cures?
Nov. 20, 2012
- FAQs about hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/FAQsAboutHypnosis/tabid/161/Default.aspx. Accessed July 20, 2012.
- Position statement regarding hypnosis. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/advocacy--newsroom/position-statements. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Stewart JH. Hypnosis in contemporary medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:511.
- Selecting a qualified professional. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/SelectingaQualifiedProfessional/tabid/137/Default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Hypnosis today: Looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Hypnosis. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Hypnosis.asp. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Chronic pain and CAM: At a glance. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/chronic.htm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165034062-3/0/1657/142.html?tocnode=5754. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypnosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.