Hypnosis can be effective in helping people cope with pain, stress and anxiety. It may also be effective as part of a comprehensive program for quitting smoking or losing weight.
Hypnosis isn't right for everyone, though. For example, you may not be able to enter a state of hypnosis fully enough to make it effective. Some therapists believe that the more likely you are to be hypnotized, the more likely it is that you'll benefit from hypnosis.
Oct. 15, 2015
- Frequently asked questions about hypnosis. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/FAQsAboutHypnosis/tabid/161/Default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Position statement regarding hypnosis. American Psychiatric Association. http://library.psych.org/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Stewart JH. Hypnosis in contemporary medicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:511.
- Selecting a qualified professional. American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. http://www.asch.net/Public/GeneralInfoonHypnosis/SelectingaQualifiedProfessional/tabid/137/Default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis today: Looking beyond the media portrayal. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/pain/paindiary/pain-control-hypnosis. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Hypnosis. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/hypnosis. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165034062-3/0/1657/142.html?tocnode=5754. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypnosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Cordi MJ, et al. Deepening sleep by hypnotic suggestion. Sleep. 2014;37:1143.
- Cordi MJ, et al. Improving sleep and cognition by hypnotic suggestion in the elderly. Neuropsychologia. 2015;69:176.
- Randomized controlled trial of a cognitive-behavioral therapy plus hypnosis intervention to control fatigue in patients undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014;32:557.