Research continues to demonstrate the benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy and is leading to medical advances, improvements in recovery and important new applications. Mayo Clinic has a large hyperbaric medicine staff to pursue new research opportunities and address increasing interest in its use.
Researchers are currently examining the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for cancer and wound healing, such as:
- Analysis of whether hyperbaric oxygen can enhance the effectiveness of radiation therapy to treat large tumors otherwise resistant to radiation and chemotherapy alone
- Evaluation of the effects of hyperbaric oxygen on stem cell response in people who have diabetes or radiation injuries
Mayo's hyperbaric chamber is also used to simulate an altitude of up to 100,000 feet, enabling researchers to study an individual's ability to tolerate extreme elevations encountered in commercial flight, suborbital flight and other extreme environments. Mayo is assisting in the development of new-generation emergency oxygen delivery systems for commercial aircraft.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on hyperbaric oxygen therapy on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Oct. 27, 2011
- Morgan GE, et al. Critical care. In: Morgan GE, et al. Clinical Anesthesiology. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=895845. Accessed Sept. 19, 2011.
- Gill AL, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen: Its uses, mechanisms of action and outcomes. QJM. 2004;97:385.
- Mechem CC, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 19, 2011.
- Olson KR. Oxygen and hyperbaric oxygen. In: Olson KR. Poisoning & Drug Overdose. 5th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2681650. Accessed Sept. 19, 2011.
- Patel PM, et al. General anesthetics and therapeutic gases. In: Brunton LL, et al. Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 12th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=16664636. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Indications for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society. http://membership.uhms.org/?page=Indications. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.