RisksBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is generally a safe procedure. Complications are rare. But this treatment does carry some risk.
Potential risks include:
Nov. 25, 2014
- Temporary nearsightedness (myopia) caused by temporary eye lens changes
- Middle ear injuries, including leaking fluid and eardrum rupture, due to increased air pressure
- Lung collapse caused by air pressure changes (barotrauma)
- Seizures as a result of too much oxygen (oxygen toxicity) in your central nervous system
- In certain circumstances, fire — due to the oxygen-rich environment of the treatment chamber
- Mechem CC, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 20, 2014.
- Bennett MH, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for acute ischaemic stroke. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004954.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 20, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Murray MJ, et al. eds. Faust's anesthesiology review. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Mosby; 2012.
- Dauwe PB, et al. Does hyperbaric oxygen therapy work in facilitating acute wound healing: A systematic review. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Journal. 2014;133:208e.
- Bennett MH, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for late radiation tissue injury. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005005.pub3/abstract. Accessed July 25, 2014.
- Bennett MH, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004739.pub4/abstract. Accessed July 25, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 25, 2014.
- Tharangini Raveenthiraraja MS. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: A review. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013;5:52.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Casey DP, et al. Vasoconstrictor responsiveness during hyperbaric hyperoxia in contracting human muscle. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2013;114:217.
- Murad MH, et al. Using GRADE for evaluating the quality of evidence in hyperbaric oxygen therapy clarifies evidence limitations. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2014;67:65.
- Rajagopalan G, et al. Is HOT a cool treatment for type 1 diabetes? Diabetes. 2012;61:1664.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: Don't be misled. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm364687.htm. Accessed Aug. 20, 2014.
- Liu R, et al. Systematic review of the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygenation therapy in the management of chronic diabetic foot ulcers. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013;88:166.
- Indications for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society. http://membership.uhms.org/?page=Indications. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Millman MP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 15, 2014.