Side effects of hormone therapy for prostate cancer can include:
- Loss of muscle mass
- Increased body fat
- Loss of sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bone thinning, which can lead to broken bones
- Hot flashes
- Decreased body hair, smaller genitalia and growth of breast tissue
- Changes in behavior
- Problems with metabolism
To minimize the side effects of hormone therapy medications, your doctor may recommend you take them only until prostate cancer responds to the treatment. You might need to resume these medications if the disease recurs or progresses.
Early research shows this intermittent dosing of hormone therapy medications may reduce the risk of side effects. However, additional studies are needed to determine the long-term survival benefits of intermittent therapy.
Your doctor might suggest intermittent dosing if:
- You have an elevated level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood, but no other evidence of spreading cancer
- There is evidence of spreading cancer, but survival is a secondary factor for you compared with quality of life
Aug. 15, 2017
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Diagnosis and staging of prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Dawson NA. Overview of the treatment of disseminated prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Prostate cancer. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Lee RJ, et al. Initial systemic therapy for castration sensitive prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Roach M. Current trends for the use of androgen deprivation therapy in conjunction with radiotherapy for patients with unfavorable intermediate-risk, high-risk, localized, and locally advanced prostate cancer. Cancer. 2014;120:1620.
- Smith MR, et al. Side effects of androgen deprivation therapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Dawson NA. Secondary endocrine therapies for castration resistant prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Steele GS, et al. Radical inguinal orchiectomy for testicular germ cell cancers. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
Hormone therapy for prostate cancer