Lisa M. Epp, R.D., L.D., discusses a new feeding tube connector and feeding bag tube
Manpreet S. Mundi, M.D., discusses tube feeding
Lisa M. Epp, R.D., L.D., discusses home enteral nutrition
At Mayo Clinic, a specially trained care team works with you to determine the type of enteral nutrition that best meets your needs. Your care team works to help you become self-confident and independent in using home enteral nutrition.
A team of experts to support you
Your care team consists of several experts to guide and support you, including:
- Internal medicine professionals
- Interventional radiologists
- Registered dietitians
- Registered nurses
- Speech pathologists
- Wound care specialists
Training and education services
Your care team works with you to build the skills you need to prepare, administer and monitor your tube feedings. Your training may include learning about:
- Selecting and preparing your feeding formula
- Administering your formula
- Taking medications
- Caring for your feeding tube
- Solving problems as they arise
- Keeping records of your tube feedings
- Identifying reliable sources for supplies and equipment
Your care team tailors your training to your individual needs. Your training may take a few hours or a few days, depending on your situation. In addition to one-on-one training, you'll receive educational materials that outline your tube feeding program.
Continuing care at home
Your care team continues to offer support and care beyond your initial training. Expect regular follow-up visits with your doctor and a registered dietitian, who serves as your home enteral nutrition coordinator. Your team stays in touch with you through the phone and online messaging. If any problems occur, your care team is available to help.
Dec. 09, 2014
- AskMayoExpert. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy or jejunostomy feeding tubes. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Phillips MS, et al. Overview of enteral and parenteral feeding access techniques: Principles and practice. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2011;91:897.
- Epp LM. Home Enteral Nutrition Database. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2014.