Mayo Clinic surgeons were pioneers in the development of modern surgical techniques and prosthetics for hip replacement surgery. (9) More than 1,500 hip replacements occur at Mayo Clinic annually.
- Learning from experience. The Mayo Clinic Total Joint Registry contains information on every joint replacement surgery performed at Mayo Clinic. The registry helps Mayo Clinic doctors determine which surgical technique and prosthesis type will be the most effective for you.
- Research advances. Mayo researchers have been instrumental in developing, modifying and patenting new prosthesis designs.
- Innovative pain management. Mayo Clinic doctors use new combinations of regional anesthesia and pain relief techniques that can reduce the need for general anesthesia and intravenous narcotic pain medications, which can speed recovery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
April 22, 2017
- Hip replacement. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/hip_replacement. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Erens GA, et al. Total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00377. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hip replacement. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Erens GA, et al. Complications of total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00404. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Total hip replacement surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Spangehl MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale Ariz. Dec. 5, 2016.
- Nelson CW. Dr. Mark B. Coventry and total hip arthroplasty. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1996;71:328.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 12, 2016.