Loss of blood flow to a bone leads to avascular necrosis — the death of bone tissue. This most commonly affects the thighbone, causing groin pain.
Bone metastasis occurs when cancer spreads to the bones.
A hip fracture is a serious injury, potentially life-threatening. But many people are able to make a good recovery.
The wear and tear of aging may take a toll on your joints. Find out how to manage osteoarthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis causes joint pain and swelling. Find out how it's treated and how to cope.
Stickler syndrome can affect multiple parts of your body, including your eyes, face, ears, bones and joints.
Apr. 29, 2014
- Hip replacement. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Hip_Replacement. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Hip replacement. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Erens GA, et al. Total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00377. Accessed Dec. 10, 2013.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Spangehl MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Jan. 14, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Total hip replacement surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- Nelson CW. Dr. Mark B. Coventry and total hip arthroplasty. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1996;71:328.
- Golden, AK. Mayo Clinic Total Joint Registry. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan 20, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 27, 2013.