Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Chronic kidney disease, often caused by diabetes or high blood pressure, is the gradual loss of kidney function. Early detection and treatment can help.
July 10, 2013
- Hemodialysis. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/hemodialysis.cfm. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Treatment methods for kidney failure: Hemodialysis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hemodialysis/. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Hemodialysis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/renal_replacement_therapy/hemodialysis.html. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Berns JS. Patient information: Hemodialysis (Beyond the Basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Kidney disease: Causes. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneydiscauses.cfm. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Kidney disease basics. National Kidney Disease Education Program. http://www.nkdep.nih.gov/learn/kidney-disease-basics.shtml. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- The kidneys and how they work. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/index.aspx. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Consequences of frequent hemodialysis: Comparison to conventional hemodialysis and transplantation. Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association. 2011;122:124.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 12, 2013.
- Norby SM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2013.
- About chronic kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/kidneydisease/aboutckd.cfm. Accessed April 26, 2013.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2013.