Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Chronic kidney disease, often caused by diabetes or high blood pressure, is the gradual loss of kidney function. Early detection and treatment can help.
Hemolytic uremic syndrome is an uncommon condition that can cause life-threatening kidney failure, especially for children and older adults.
July 10, 2013
- Hemodialysis. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/hemodialysis.cfm. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Treatment methods for kidney failure: Hemodialysis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hemodialysis/. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Hemodialysis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/renal_replacement_therapy/hemodialysis.html. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Berns JS. Patient information: Hemodialysis (Beyond the Basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Kidney disease: Causes. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneydiscauses.cfm. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Kidney disease basics. National Kidney Disease Education Program. http://www.nkdep.nih.gov/learn/kidney-disease-basics.shtml. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- The kidneys and how they work. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/index.aspx. Accessed April 9, 2013.
- Consequences of frequent hemodialysis: Comparison to conventional hemodialysis and transplantation. Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association. 2011;122:124.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 12, 2013.
- Norby SM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2013.
- About chronic kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/kidneydisease/aboutckd.cfm. Accessed April 26, 2013.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2013.