In hemodialysis, a machine filters wastes, salts and fluid from your blood when your kidneys are no longer healthy enough to do this work adequately. Hemodialysis is one way to treat advanced kidney failure and can help you carry on an active life despite failing kidneys.
With hemodialysis, you'll need to:
- Follow a strict treatment schedule
- Take medications regularly
- Make changes in your diet
Hemodialysis is a serious responsibility, but you don't have to shoulder it alone. You'll work closely with your health care team, including a kidney specialist and other professionals with experience managing hemodialysis. You may be able to do hemodialysis at home.
Aug. 11, 2017
- Hemodialysis. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/hemodialysis. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Treatment methods for kidney failure: Hemodialysis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hemodialysis/. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Hemodialysis. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/renal_replacement_therapy/hemodialysis.html. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Berns JS. Patient information: Hemodialysis (Beyond the Basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Kidney disease: Causes. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneydiscauses.cfm. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hemodialysis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic kidney disease (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Consequences of frequent hemodialysis: Comparison to conventional hemodialysis and transplantation. Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association. 2011;122:124.
- Skorecki K, et al., eds. Hemodialysis. In: Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI clinical practice guideline for hemodialysis adequacy: 2015 update. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2015;66:884.
- Acute kidney injury (AKI). National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/AcuteKidneyInjury. Accessed June 15, 2016.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 30, 2016.