- Cardiac expertise. Mayo Clinic is one of the largest medical centers in the United States for heart valve surgery. In addition to surgery on people who are found to have valve problems for the first time, Mayo surgeons also perform complex heart valve surgeries, including surgeries for people who have high surgical risks or who have previously had heart valve surgery.
- A team approach. The Mayo Clinic heart valve team, along with heart surgeons and doctors with special training in heart disease (cardiologists), provides you with integrated, coordinated and comprehensive heart care.
Cutting-edge medicine. Mayo Clinic heart surgeons may perform minimally invasive heart surgery, including video thoracoscopic and robot-assisted surgery, in selected patients. Minimally invasive surgery involves the use of smaller incisions, and you may have less pain and a shorter recovery period after minimally invasive surgery. Mitral valve repair is one of the most common minimally invasive heart surgeries performed at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic cardiologists and surgeons perform transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in selected patients at high risk of open-heart surgery. In TAVR, an artificial valve mounted on a catheter is inserted through an artery and expanded across a damaged valve, eliminating the need for open-heart surgery.
Related book: Mayo Clinic Healthy Heart for Life! book provides an easy-to-follow plan to prevent and conquer heart disease.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
March 21, 2014
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Aug. 20, 2013.
- Antman EM, et al. Cardiovascular Therapeutics: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 20, 2013.
- Suri RM, et al. Quality of life after early mitral valve repair using conventional and robotic approaches. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012;93:761.
- Nishimura RA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 23, 2013.