Cardiogenic shock is a life-threatening complication usually of a heart attack. Cardiogenic shock treatments can be effective, but must be provided immediately.
Cardiomyopathy is a heart muscle disease. Treatment options depend on what type of cardiomyopathy you have.
Ebstein's anomaly is a rare heart defect. Some people may not have any symptoms, but others may need treatment, including surgery.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Heart failure means your heart can't efficiently pump blood throughout your body. Medications, and sometimes devices or surgery, can help you manage this condition.
Hypoplastic left heart syndrome is a rare and complex congenital heart condition in which the left side of the heart is underdeveloped.
Myocarditis is a disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed and swollen, often as the result of an infection.
Sudden cardiac arrest is a medical emergency. Rapid treatment improves your chances of survival.
Dec. 10, 2010
- Heart transplant. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/ht/ht_all.html. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Colucci WS, et al. Indications and contraindications for cardiac transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Heart transplantation in the United States, 1998-2007. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.ustransplant.org/annual_reports/current/chapter_v_forprint.pdf. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.
- Jessup M, et al. 2009 Focused update: ACCF/AHA guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heart failure in adults. Circulation. 2009;119:1977.
- Ventricular assist device. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/vad/vad_all.html. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Anderson AS. Prognosis after cardiac transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.
- Pina IL. Rehabilitation after cardiac transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.