Appointments and care
At Mayo Clinic, we take the time to listen, to find answers and to provide you the best care.
A hand transplant is performed in selected cases in an attempt to improve quality of life and give you some function and sensation in your new hands.
When matching you with a donor hand for a hand transplant, surgeons consider:
May 05, 2015
- Blood type
- Tissue type
- Skin color
- Comparable ages of donor and recipient
- Same sex between donor and recipient
- Hand size
- Muscle bulk
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hand and arm transplantation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Foroohar A, et al. The history and evolution of hand transplantation. Hand Clinic. 2011;27:405.
- Petruzzo P, et al. The International Registry on Hand and Composite Tissue Transplantation. Transplantation. 2010;90:1590.
- Landin L, et al. Outcomes with respect to disabilities of the upper limb after hand allograft transplantation: A systematic review. Transplant International. 2012;25:424.
- Kaufman CL, et al. A new option for amputees: Transplantation of the hand. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 2009;46:395.
- Cendales L, et al. Implementation of vascularized composite allografts in the United States: Recommendations from the ASTS VCA Ad Hoc Committee and the Executive Committee. American Journal of Transplantation. 2011;11:13.
- Petruzzo P, et al. Long-term follow-up in composite tissue allotransplantation: In-depth study of five (hand and face) recipients. American Journal of Transplantation. 2011;11:808.
- Constantinescu MA, et al. Hand transplant: A challenge in immunological management of patients. Journal of Medicine and Life. 2011;4:287.
- Shores JT, et al. The current state of hand transplantation. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2011;36A:1862.
- Siemionow M, et al. Successes and lessons learned after more than a decade of upper extremity and face transplantation. Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation. 2013;18:633.