Because hand transplants are a relatively new procedure, it's difficult to predict what the results of your procedure will be. Following your post-transplant care plan carefully can increase your chance of regaining as much function as possible.
Although there's no guarantee on how much hand function you'll gain, hand transplant recipients have been able to:
July 01, 2015
- Pick up small objects, such as nuts and bolts
- Lift heavier objects with one hand, such as a full milk jug
- Use a wrench and other tools
- Take change into an outstretched palm
- Use a knife and fork
- Tie shoes
- Catch a ball
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hand and arm transplantation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Foroohar A, et al. The history and evolution of hand transplantation. Hand Clinic. 2011;27:405.
- Petruzzo P, et al. The International Registry on Hand and Composite Tissue Transplantation. Transplantation. 2010;90:1590.
- Landin L, et al. Outcomes with respect to disabilities of the upper limb after hand allograft transplantation: A systematic review. Transplant International. 2012;25:424.
- Kaufman CL, et al. A new option for amputees: Transplantation of the hand. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 2009;46:395.
- Cendales L, et al. Implementation of vascularized composite allografts in the United States: Recommendations from the ASTS VCA Ad Hoc Committee and the Executive Committee. American Journal of Transplantation. 2011;11:13.
- Petruzzo P, et al. Long-term follow-up in composite tissue allotransplantation: In-depth study of five (hand and face) recipients. American Journal of Transplantation. 2011;11:808.
- Constantinescu MA, et al. Hand transplant: A challenge in immunological management of patients. Journal of Medicine and Life. 2011;4:287.
- Shores JT, et al. The current state of hand transplantation. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2011;36A:1862.
- Siemionow M, et al. Successes and lessons learned after more than a decade of upper extremity and face transplantation. Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation. 2013;18:633.