Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease includes a group of disorders that affect the peripheral nerves, causing muscle weakness and loss of muscle bulk. Treatment focuses on managing symptoms.
Epidermolysis bullosa is a group of inherited skin diseases whose hallmark is fragile skin that blisters easily. Severe forms may be life-threatening.
Hunter syndrome, a rare metabolic disorder, occurs when the body can't break down certain complex sugars. Complications occur as these sugars accumulate in the body.
Jan. 05, 2013
- Gene therapy. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/therapy. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Gene therapy for cancer: Questions and answers. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/gene. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- FAQs. American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy. http://www.asgct.org/general-public/educational-resources/faqs. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Rivat C, et al. Gene therapy for primary immunodeficiencies. Human Gene therapy. 2012;23:668.
- Garg S. Retinitis pigmentosa: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Kalos M, et al. T cells with chimeric antigen receptors have potent antitumor effects and can establish memory in patients with advanced leukemia. Science Translational Medicine. 2011;3:1.
- Russell SJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 11, 2012.