Focused ultrasound surgery (FUS) is a noninvasive treatment option for uterine fibroids — noncancerous growths of the uterus. To determine whether you're a good candidate for focused ultrasound surgery, your doctor may perform a pelvic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan before treatment.
Focused ultrasound surgery — also called magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery or focused ultrasound ablation — happens while you're inside an MRI scanner equipped with a high-energy ultrasound transducer.
The MRI images give your doctor the precise location of a uterine fibroid and the locations of nearby structures to be avoided, such as the bowel and bladder. While the MRI monitors the targeted fibroid and surrounding structures, the ultrasound transducer delivers focused sound waves into the fibroid. The sound waves heat and destroy small areas of fibroid tissue until most or all of the fibroid is destroyed.
Not widely available, focused ultrasound surgery typically is done at specialized clinics.
April 30, 2016
- Zupi E, et al. Nonsurgical alternatives for uterine fibroids. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. In press. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Kong CY, et al. MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroid treatment: A cost-effective analysis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2014;203:361.
- Jacoby VL, et al. PROMISe trial: A pilot, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound for uterine fibroids. Fertility and Sterility. 2016;105:773.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): Body. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=bodymr. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Kim HK, et al. Three cases of complications after high-intensity focused ultrasound treatment in unmarried women. Obstetrics and Gynecology Science. 2015;58:542.
- Mindjuk I, et al. MRI predictors of clinical success in MR-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) treatments of uterine fibroids: Results from a single centre. European Radiology. 2015;25:1317.
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;372:1646.
- Coakley FV, et al. Pelvic applications of MR-guided high intensity focused ultrasound. Abdominal Imaging. 2013;38:1120.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2016.
Focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids