Rarely, focused ultrasound surgery results in:
- Burns to the skin on your abdomen
- Damage to tissues and structures near the fibroid targeted for treatment
- Nerve stimulation causing temporary back or leg pain after the procedure
- Blood clots in your legs (deep vein thrombosis)
Other drawbacks specific to focused ultrasound surgery include:
- Less long-term data on safety and effectiveness than most other fibroid treatments
- Less data on fertility and pregnancy than with other fibroid treatments
As with many other fibroid treatments, when you have focused ultrasound surgery:
- You may have some fibroids that may not be able to be treated
- You may require further treatment if your symptoms return
March 18, 2017
- Zupi E, et al. Nonsurgical alternatives for uterine fibroids. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. In press. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Kong CY, et al. MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroid treatment: A cost-effective analysis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2014;203:361.
- Jacoby VL, et al. PROMISe trial: A pilot, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound for uterine fibroids. Fertility and Sterility. 2016;105:773.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): Body. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=bodymr. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Kim HK, et al. Three cases of complications after high-intensity focused ultrasound treatment in unmarried women. Obstetrics and Gynecology Science. 2015;58:542.
- Mindjuk I, et al. MRI predictors of clinical success in MR-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) treatments of uterine fibroids: Results from a single centre. European Radiology. 2015;25:1317.
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;372:1646.
- Coakley FV, et al. Pelvic applications of MR-guided high intensity focused ultrasound. Abdominal Imaging. 2013;38:1120.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2016.
Focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids