Focused ultrasound surgery is a noninvasive treatment option for uterine fibroids — noncancerous growths of the uterus. A pelvic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is typically performed before treatment to determine whether you're a good candidate for focused ultrasound surgery.
Focused ultrasound surgery — also called magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery or focused ultrasound ablation — is performed while you're inside an MRI scanner equipped with a high-energy ultrasound transducer for treatment.
The images give your doctor the precise location of the uterine fibroids and the locations of nearby structures to be avoided, such as the bowel and bladder. While the MRI monitors the targeted fibroid and surrounding structures, the ultrasound transducer focuses sound waves into the fibroid to heat and destroy small areas of fibroid tissue.
Not widely available, focused ultrasound surgery typically is done at specialized clinics.
Jun. 01, 2013
- Napoli A, et al. MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound: Current status of an emerging technology. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology. In press. Accessed April 30, 2013.
- Hesley GK, et al. MR-guided focused ultrasound for the treatment of uterine fibroids. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology. 2013;36:5.
- Trumm CG, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids. Investigative Radiology. 2013;48:1.
- Coakley FV, et al. Pelvic applications of MR-guided high intensity focused ultrasound. Abdominal Imaging. In press. http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00261-013-9999-2. Accessed April 30, 2013.
- Van der Kooij SM, et al. Review of nonsurgical/minimally invasive treatments for uterine fibroids. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;24:1.
- MRI of the body (chest, abdomen, pelvis). RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=bodymr. Accessed April 30, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 17, 2013.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2013.
- Hesley GK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 20, 2013.