An anal fissure is a tear in the lining of the anal canal that may cause pain and bleeding. It's often due to constipation.
C. difficile can be a life-threatening infection. It typically develops when antibiotics destroy other bacteria in your intestines, allowing C. difficile to flourish.
Chronic constipation can cause bloating and abdominal discomfort.
Learn which foods are allowed and which foods to avoid.
Colon polyps — small clumps of cells on your colon lining — are usually harmless, but some may become cancerous over time.
Crohn's disease is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) — a serious inflammation of the digestive tract that can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
If you have difficulty controlling your bowel movements, don't shy away from talking to your doctor — effective treatments for fecal incontinence are available.
Though uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing, hemorrhoids — and the accompanying itching and bleeding — are common. Effective treatments are available and mostly involve lifestyle and home remedies.
Inflammatory bowel disease can be painful and debilitating, and it can cause life-threatening complications. Find out more about treating this digestive system disorder.
Proctitis is an inflammation of the lining of the rectum.
Pseudomembranous colitis is an inflammation of the colon that occurs most often in people using antibiotics.
Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome, a rare condition, may be caused by chronic constipation. Dietary changes may help mild cases.
Ulcerative colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) — a serious inflammation of the digestive tract that can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Jul. 15, 2014
- Falchuk M. Patient information: Flexible sigmoidoscopy (Beyond the basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/sigmoidoscopy/index.htm. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.
- Screening for colorectal cancer: U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2008;149:627.
- Screening for colorectal cancer. U.S. Preventative Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspscolo.htm. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.
- A-Rahim YI, et al. Bowel preparation for colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 27, 2014.