The fetal fibronectin test is a simple procedure. However, false-positive results are common, which might cause unnecessary anxiety or treatments.
April 21, 2016
- Lockwood CJ. Diagnosis of preterm labor and overview of preterm birth. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 21, 2016.
- Fetal fibronectin. Lab Tests Online. https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ffn/tab/sample/. Accessed Feb. 20, 2016.
- DeFranco EA, et al. Improving the screening accuracy for preterm labor: Is the combination of fetal fibronectin and cervical length in symptomatic patients a useful predictor of preterm birth? A systematic review. American Journal of Obstetetrics and Gynecology. 2013;208:233.
- Van Baaren GJ, et al. Risk factors for preterm delivery: Do they add to fetal fibronectin testing and cervical length measurement in the prediction of preterm delivery in symptomatic women? European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 2015;192:79.
- McLaren JS, et al. Prediction of spontaneous preterm birth using quantitative fetal fibronectin after recent sexual intercourse. American Journal of Obstetetrics and Gynecology. 2015;212:89.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 23, 2016.