Inattention and hyperactive, impulsive behavior can be challenging for both children and their families. But appropriate treatment for ADHD can make a real difference.
Adult ADHD can lead to challenges at work, in relationships and in other areas of your life. The right treatment can make a big difference.
Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
Managing bipolar disorder can be a challenge. Stick to your treatment plan to keep mood swings under control.
Bulimia often leads to a secret life of shame. Find out what's behind this life-threatening disease and how to treat it.
Childhood schizophrenia is confusing and heart wrenching. Learn about managing this serious psychotic disorder.
Cyclothymia may be a mild form of bipolar disorder, but your fluctuating moods can have serious consequences. Learn about treatment options.
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
A child who has tantrums, argues, and is angry or disruptive may have oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). Treatment can bring peace back to your household.
People with schizoaffective disorder have certain symptoms of both schizophrenia and a mood disorder, such as depression or bipolar disorder.
Schizophrenia causes delusions, hallucinations and behavior changes. The good news is that new medications can often effectively manage schizophrenia symptoms.
People with schizotypal personalities have few friends, act peculiar and often entertain distorted perceptions of reality.
Becoming part of a stepfamily can be challenging and stressful for a child. Here's help smoothing the transition.
All teens feel down from time to time. But if negative feelings persist or start to interfere with daily life, it might be depression.
Nov. 08, 2014
- Marriage and family therapists: The friendly mental health professionals. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. http://www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/Content/Consumer_Updates/Marriage_and_Family_Therapists.aspx. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Family therapy can help: For people in recovery from mental illness or addiction. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. http://store.samhsa.gov/product/Family-Therapy-Can-Help-For-People-in-Recovery-From-Mental-Illness-or-Addiction/SMA13-4784. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Psychotherapies. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/psychotherapies/index.shtml. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Lebow J. Overview of psychotherapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 21, 2014.
- Vickers Douglas KS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 1, 2014.