Family therapy is a type of psychological counseling (psychotherapy) that can help family members improve communication and resolve conflicts.
Family therapy is usually provided by a psychologist, clinical social worker or licensed therapist. These therapists have graduate or postgraduate degrees and may be credentialed by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT).
Family therapy is often short term. It may include all family members or just those able or willing to participate. Your specific treatment plan will depend on your family's situation. Family therapy sessions can teach you skills to deepen family connections and get through stressful times, even after you're done going to therapy sessions.
Sept. 20, 2017
- About marriage and family therapists. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. http://www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/Content/About_AAMFT/About_Marriage_and_Family_Therapists.aspx. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- Marriage and family therapists: The friendly mental health professionals. American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. http://www.aamft.org/iMIS15/AAMFT/Content/consumer_updates/marriage_and_family_therapists.aspx. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- Family therapy can help: For people in recovery from mental illness or addiction. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Family-Therapy-Can-Help-For-People-in-Recovery-From-Mental-Illness-or-Addiction/SMA15-4784. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- Psychotherapies. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/psychotherapies/index.shtml. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- How to choose a psychologist. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/choose-therapist.aspx. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- Lebow J. Overview of psychotherapies. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- Keitner G. Family and couples therapy for treating depressed adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 1, 2017.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 8, 2017.