The Essure system is a type of female sterilization. Benefits of the Essure system include:
- Lack of significant long-term side effects
- No need to buy contraception, interrupt sex for contraception or seek partner compliance
- No incision
- Convenience — the Essure system can be implanted at your health care provider's office
- No effect on your menstrual cycle
The Essure system isn't appropriate for everyone, however. Your health care provider may discourage you from choosing the Essure system if you:
Jan. 12, 2012
- Are sensitive to nickel or allergic to the contrast agent used to confirm tubal blockage
- Have a uterine or tubal condition that prevents access to one or both tubal openings
- Might want to become pregnant
- Previously had a tubal ligation
- Recently gave birth or had an abortion
- Recently had a pelvic infection
- Greenberg J. Hysteroscopic sterilization. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 12, 2011.
- Birth control methods. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.cfm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2011.
- Abbott J. Transcervical sterilization. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007;19:325.
- Essure (prescribing information). Mountain View, Calif.: Conceptus Incorporated; 2011. http://www.essuremd.com/Home/LearningLibrary/Publications/tabid/314/Default.aspx. Accessed Dec. 12, 2011.
- Stovall TG. Surgical sterilization of women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 12, 2011.
- Roncari D, et al. Female and male sterilization. In: Hatcher RA, et al. Contraceptive Technology. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: Ardent Media Inc.; 2011:435.
- Sterilization. In: Cunningham FG, ed. Williams Obstetrics. 3rd. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6032717. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Stubblefield PG, et al. Family planning. In: Berek JS, ed. Berek & Novak's Gynecology. 14th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:248.
- Sterilization for women and men. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/ForPatients/faq011.ashx. Accessed Dec. 12, 2011.
- Smith RD. Contemporary hysteroscopic methods for female sterilization. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2010;108:79.