Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The Essure system is a type of female sterilization. It offers a permanent way to prevent pregnancy. Benefits of the Essure system include:
- Lack of significant long-term side effects
- No need to buy contraception, interrupt sex for contraception or seek partner compliance
- No incision or scarring of the skin
- Convenience — the Essure system can be inserted at your health care provider's office
The Essure system isn't appropriate for everyone, however. Your health care provider may discourage implantation of the Essure system if:
Nov. 29, 2016
- You might want to become pregnant
- You gave birth or had an abortion within the past six weeks
- You recently had a pelvic infection
- You're allergic to the contrast agent used to confirm tubal blockage
- You have a uterine or tubal condition that prevents access to one or both tubal openings
- You previously had a tubal ligation
- Hatcher RA, et al. Contraceptive Technology. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: Ardent Media; 2011:249.
- Greenberg J. Hysteroscopic sterilization. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 26, 2014.
- Essure (prescribing information). Milipitus, Calif.: Bayer Healthcare LLC; 2012. http://www.essuremd.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Adelman MR, et al. Management of complications encountered with Essure hysteroscopic sterilization: A systematic review. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2014;21:733.
- Jost S, et al. Essure permanent birth control effectiveness: A seven-year survey. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 2013;168:134.
- FDA takes additional action to better understand safety of Essure, inform patients of potential risks. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm488313.htm. Accessed March 3, 2016.
- Laughlin-Tommaso SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2016.
- Essure permanent birth control system by Bayer Healthcare: FDA announcement — label changes. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm529241.htm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2016.