- Experience. Mayo Clinic surgeons perform more than 150 esophagectomies each year. Studies have shown that people who had esophagectomies at low-volume centers had a much higher risk of dying from the operation than did people treated at high-volume centers (defined as more than 20 esophagectomies per year).
- Teamwork. Esophagectomy is an important part of esophageal cancer treatment, which can be extremely complex. At Mayo, specialists in thoracic surgery, digestive diseases, oncology and other areas work together to manage your care, before and after surgery.
- Minimally invasive approach. Mayo doctors can sometimes perform minimally invasive esophagectomies, which usually result in less pain, shorter hospital stays and faster recovery than traditional open surgery.
- Efficient care. Consultations with doctors, testing and treatment can usually be done in a single visit lasting several days.
- New ideas. Mayo specialists are at the forefront of new techniques for esophagectomy. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Nov. 10, 2010