Difficulty swallowing can be painful and may indicate a serious medical problem.
Esophageal spasms are irregular contractions of the esophageal muscles, which impair the movement of food to the stomach.
Jun. 06, 2012
- Understanding esophageal manometry. American Society for Gastronintestinal Endoscopy. http://www.asge.org/PatientInfoIndex.aspx?id=6822. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Lembo AJ et al. Motility testing: When does it help? http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- American Gastroenterological Association. AGA technical review on the clinical use of esophageal manometry. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:209.
- Ask Mayo Expert. Esophageal manometry. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Falk GW et al. Goldman: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Saunders, Elsevier, 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00140-8&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&sid=1300780111&uniqId=331154314-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00140-8--s0050