A microscopic parasite causes Blastocystis hominis infection. Experts disagree as to whether this infection causes diarrhea and other associated signs and symptoms.
Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
Chronic sinusitis involves long-term inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities. Medications can help, and in rare cases surgery can treat this painful condition.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome can last for hours or days and shares many triggers with migraines.
Reduce your risk of esophageal cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Esophageal spasms are irregular contractions of the esophageal muscles, which impair the movement of food to the stomach.
Indigestion can ruin meals and make you feel uncomfortable. Take steps to prevent symptoms like upset stomach, bloating and pain.
Iron deficiency anemia may leave you feeling sapped of energy. This condition is especially common in women. Iron supplements usually help.
Peptic ulcers are painful sores that commonly affect the lining of your stomach and upper small intestine. The most frequent cause is a treatable infection.
Reduce your risk of stomach cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
June 18, 2015
- Greenwald DA, et al. Overview of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Understanding upper endoscopy. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. http://www.asge.org/patients/patients.aspx?id=6822. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Feldman M, et al. Preparation for and complications of GI endoscopy. In: Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Gastrointestinal endoscopy. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Endoscopy. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/diagnostic_and_therapeutic_gi_procedures/endoscopy.html. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Upper GI Endoscopy. NIDDK. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/diagnostic-tests/upper-gi-endoscopy/Pages/diagnostic-test.aspx. Accessed April 7, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 21, 2015.