Bile reflux — the backwash of bile from the small intestine into the stomach and esophagus — can cause ongoing inflammation and lead to serious complications.
A microscopic parasite causes Blastocystis hominis infection. Experts disagree as to whether this infection causes diarrhea and other associated signs and symptoms.
Burns — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments and self-care tips. Includes burn pictures.
Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
Chronic sinusitis involves long-term inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities. Medications can help, and in rare cases surgery can treat this painful condition.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome can last for hours or days and shares many triggers with migraines.
Reduce your risk of esophageal cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Esophageal spasms are irregular contractions of the esophageal muscles, which impair the movement of food to the stomach.
Most cases of hiatal hernia are small and don't require treatment. A larger hiatal hernia can cause heartburn and other symptoms.
Indigestion can ruin meals and make you feel uncomfortable. Take steps to prevent symptoms like upset stomach, bloating and pain.
Intestinal ischemia occurs when the blood supply to your digestive system is reduced. Abdominal pain is a common symptom. Several treatment options are available.
Iron deficiency anemia may leave you feeling sapped of energy. This condition is especially common in women. Iron supplements usually help.
Lynch syndrome, an uncommon disorder caused by genetic defects, predisposes a person to develop colon cancer and other forms of cancer.
Nonulcer stomach pain, a type of indigestion, commonly causes pain or discomfort in your upper abdomen.
Peptic ulcers are painful sores that commonly affect the lining of your stomach and upper small intestine. The most frequent cause is a treatable infection.
Sinus headaches are often confused with migraines. Proper diagnosis and treatment are the keys to relief.
Reduce your risk of stomach cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Stomach polyps are rare and usually harmless, but some types increase the risk of stomach cancer.
Vocal cord paralysis occurs when one or both of your vocal cords don't open or close properly.
Aug. 29, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisinger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Understanding upper endoscopy. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.asge.org/patients/patients.aspx?id=378. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Upper GI endoscopy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/upperendoscopy/. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Picco MP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. July 9, 2012.