You likely will be given medicine to help you relax.
During EUS your doctor passes a thin, flexible tube (endoscope) through your mouth and through your digestive tract. A small ultrasound device (transducer) in the tube produces sound waves that create a precise image of surrounding tissue, including lymph nodes in the chest. The endoscope is then gradually withdrawn.
If you have fine-needle aspiration with EUS, your doctor will pass a second, curved device into your digestive tract. That device can guide a very slender needle to your lymph nodes and tumors or other abnormalities. The needle extracts fluid and tissue for analysis.
EUS with fine-needle aspiration generally lasts about an hour.
Aug. 12, 2014
- Greenberger NJ, et al., eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=390. Accessed Feb. 26, 2004.
- Lee LS, et al. Update on advanced endoscopic techniques for the pancreas: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, drainage and biopsy, and endoscopic ultrasound. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 2012;50:547.
- LeBlanc JK. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in the mediastinum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. March 19, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the gastrointestinal tract. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound in esophageal carcinoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Bulman W, et al. Acquisition and processing of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens in the era of targeted lung cancer chemotherapy. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2012;186:606.
- Fasanella KE, et al. Therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Fujii LL, et al. Pitfalls in EUS FNA. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2014;24:125.
- AskMayoExpert. Common procedures and associated bleeding risks. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Levy MJ, et al. Prospective evaluation of adverse events following lower gastrointestinal tract EUS FNA. American Journal of Gastroenterology. In press.
- Maldonado F, et al. Invasive and noninvasive advances in the staging of lung cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:17.
- Ngamruengphong S, et al. Risk of gastric or peritoneal recurrence, and long-term outcomes, following pancreatic cancer resection with preoperative endosonographically guided fine needle aspiration. Endoscopy. 2013;45:619.