RisksBy Mayo Clinic Staff
EUS is generally safe when performed at a center with experience and expertise in the procedure. Your doctor will discuss with you the risk of complications from EUS, which may include:
- Bleeding, especially if fine-needle aspiration is done
- Tearing (perforation) of the intestinal wall or throat
- Pancreatitis, if fine-needle aspiration of the pancreas is done
You can reduce your risk of complications by carefully following your doctor's instructions for preparing for EUS.
Signs and symptoms to watch for after your EUS include:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Black or very dark-colored stool
- Difficulty swallowing
- Severe or persistent abdominal pain
Call your doctor immediately or go to an emergency room if you experience any of these signs or symptoms.
Aug. 12, 2014
- Greenberger NJ, et al., eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=390. Accessed Feb. 26, 2004.
- Lee LS, et al. Update on advanced endoscopic techniques for the pancreas: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, drainage and biopsy, and endoscopic ultrasound. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 2012;50:547.
- LeBlanc JK. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in the mediastinum. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. March 19, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the gastrointestinal tract. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Wiersema MJ, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound in esophageal carcinoma. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Bulman W, et al. Acquisition and processing of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration specimens in the era of targeted lung cancer chemotherapy. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2012;186:606.
- Fasanella KE, et al. Therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Fujii LL, et al. Pitfalls in EUS FNA. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2014;24:125.
- AskMayoExpert. Common procedures and associated bleeding risks. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Levy MJ, et al. Prospective evaluation of adverse events following lower gastrointestinal tract EUS FNA. American Journal of Gastroenterology. In press.
- Maldonado F, et al. Invasive and noninvasive advances in the staging of lung cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:17.
- Ngamruengphong S, et al. Risk of gastric or peritoneal recurrence, and long-term outcomes, following pancreatic cancer resection with preoperative endosonographically guided fine needle aspiration. Endoscopy. 2013;45:619.