Below are current clinical trials.1 studies in Endoscopic mucosal resection
(open studies only).
Filter this list of studies by location, status and more.
Surgery has been historically the mainstay treatment for advanced pre-malignant lesions and early esophageal cancers. However, esophagectomy is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. With the advance of therapeutic endoscopy, there has been a growing interest and application of endoscopic resection and mucosal ablative techniques for the treatment of these diseases. Esophageal stricture(ES) formation has become an increasingly recognized complication of extensive endoscopic mucosal ablation and/or resection. The resultant symptomatic stricture development can significantly impair a patient's quality of life. Endoscopic therapy of esophageal strictures with balloon dilation and/or local steroid injection is invasive, costly, and associated with the potential risk of perforation. Recently, oral corticosteroids have been introduced for the prevention of esophageal stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection.
Budesonide is a synthetic steroid with topical anti-inflammatory properties and high first-pass metabolism; thus, potentially less systemic absorption and side effects.
Hypothesis: Oral budesonide prevents esophageal stricture formation in patients who underwent radical endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) or endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for advanced premalignant esophageal lesions or superficial esophageal cancers.
Aug. 31, 2017
- Gunaratnam NT, et al. Overview of endoscopic resection of gastrointestinal tumors. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 17, 2017.
- Upper GI endoscopy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/upperendoscopy/index.aspx. Accessed May 16, 2017.
- Preparing for your upper GI endoscopy. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/attachments/6515/3_UpperGIEndoscopy_Prep_Design.pdf. Accessed May 16, 2017.
- Hwang JH, et al. Endoscopic mucosal resection. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2015;82:215.
- Klein A, et al. How to perform high-quality endoscopic mucosal resection during colonoscopy. Gastroenterology. 2017;152:466.
- Odze RD, et al., eds. Gastrointestinal tract endoscopic and tissue processing techniques and normal histology. In: Odze and Goldblum Surgical Pathology of the GI Tract, Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas. Surgical Pathology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 26, 2017.
Endoscopic mucosal resection