How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic Staff
In the weeks before the procedure, your doctor might:
Sept. 16, 2015
- Perform a pregnancy check. Endometrial ablation can't be done if you're pregnant.
- Check for cancer. A thin tube (catheter) is inserted through your cervix to obtain a small sample of your endometrium to be tested for cancer.
- Remove an IUD. Endometrial ablation isn't performed with an IUD in place.
- Thin your endometrium. Some types of endometrial ablation are more successful when the uterine lining is thin. Your doctor might prescribe medications or perform a dilation and curettage (D&C), a procedure in which the doctor scrapes out the extra tissue.
- Discuss anesthesia options. Some methods of endometrial ablation require general anesthesia, so you're asleep during the procedure. Other types of endometrial ablation might be performed with conscious sedation or with numbing shots into your cervix and uterus.
- Sharp HT. An overview of endometrial ablation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 13, 2015.
- Sharp HT. Endometrial ablation: Non-resectoscopic techniques. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 13, 2015.
- Fergusson RJ, et al. Endometrial resection and ablation versus hysterectomy for heavy menstrual bleeding. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000329.pub2/abstract. Accessed July 15, 2015.
- Pfenninger JL, et al., eds. Endometrial ablation. In: Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 15, 2015.
- Kaunitz AM. Approach to abnormal uterine bleeding in nonpregnant reproductive-age women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 15, 2015.
- Strauss JF, et al., eds. Benign uterine diseases. In: Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 15, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Menorrhagia. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 15, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ134. Endometrial ablation. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Endometrial-Ablation. Accessed July 15, 2015.
- Wortman M, et al. Late-onset endometrial ablation failure — Etiology, treatment, and prevention. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2015;22:323.
- Bradley LD. Overview of hysteroscopy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Sharp HT. Endometrial ablation or resection: Resectoscopic techniques. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Laughlin-Tommaso SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 10, 2015.