The nervous system specialist (neurologist) conducting the EMG will need to know if you have certain medical conditions. Tell the neurologist and other EMG lab personnel if you:
- Have a pacemaker or any other electrical medical device
- Take blood-thinning medications
- Have hemophilia, a blood-clotting disorder that causes prolonged bleeding
Questions to ask
When you schedule your EMG, you may want to ask the following questions:
- What time do I need to arrive?
- Where is the EMG lab, and what's the best way to find it in the hospital or clinic?
- Do I need to stop taking any prescription or over-the-counter medications before the exam?
- Can a friend or relative be with me during the exam?
Take a shower or bath shortly before your exam in order to remove oils from your skin. Don't apply lotions or creams before the exam.
Oct. 25, 2012
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3641135&searchStr=electromyography. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Horowitz SH. Overview of electromyography. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- FAQ: Patient information. American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine. http://www.aanem.org/Education/Patient-Resources/Learn-About-an-EMG.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Overview of peripheral nervous system disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/peripheral_nervous_system_and_motor_unit_disorders/overview_of_peripheral_nervous_system_disorders.html?qt=peripheral%20nervous%20system%20disorders&alt=sh#v1045423. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm. Accessed Jan. 15, 2013.
- What are pleurisy and other pleural disorders? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pleurisy/. Accessed Jan. 17, 2013.
- What is hemophilia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hemophilia/. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your electromyography (EMG) examination. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2008.