Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Feb. 02, 2017
- Electrocardiogram. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ekg. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Stress testing. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/stress/. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Electrocardiography. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Ambulatory heart rhythm monitoring. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Chou R. Cardiac screening with electrocardiography, stress echocardiography, or myocardial perfusion imaging: Advice for high-value care from the American College of Physicians. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2015;162:438.
- Asirvatham SJ, et al. Electrocardiogram mapping-reentry: Final frontier? Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. 2014;7:760.
- Pfenninger JL, et al. Office electrocardiograms. In: Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Chen YH, et al. Soft, comfortable polymer dry electrodes for high quality ECG and EEG recording. Sensors. 2014;14:23758. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4299086/. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Nestler DM, et al. Impact of prehospital electrocardiogram protocol and immediate catheterization team activation for patients with ST-elevation-myocardial infarction. Circulation Cardiovascular Quality outcomes. 2011;4:640.
- Gibbons RJ, et al. Use of echocardiography in Olmsted County Outpatients with chest pain and normal resting electrocardiograms seen at Mayo Clinic Rochester. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:1492.
- What causes an arrhythmia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/causes. Accessed Oct. 7, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 28, 2016.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 29, 2016.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Indications for invasive and noninvasive electrophysiologic testing. In: Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Gerstenfeld EP, et al. Atrial fibrillation ablation: Indications, emerging techniques and follow-up. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2015;58:202.
Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)