Egg freezing, also known as mature oocyte cryopreservation, is a method used to preserve reproductive potential in women.
Eggs are harvested from your ovaries, frozen unfertilized and stored for later use. A frozen egg can be thawed, combined with sperm in a lab and implanted in your uterus (in vitro fertilization).
Your doctor can help you understand how egg freezing works, the potential risks and whether this method of fertility preservation is right for you based on your personal and reproductive history.
Jan. 07, 2016
- Assisted reproductive technology: A guide for patients. American Society of Reproductive Medicine. 2015. https://www.asrm.org/BOOKLET_Assisted_Reproductive_Technologies/. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Dahhan T, et al. Reproductive choices and outcomes after freezing oocytes for medical reasons: A follow-up study. Human Reproduction. 2014;29:1925.
- AskMayoExpert. Fertility preservation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Fauser BCJM. Overview of ovulation induction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Qiao J, et al. Fertility preservation: challenges and opportunities. The Lancet. 2014;84:1246.
- Mature oocyte cryopreservation: A guideline. Society for Reproductive Medicine and Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology. Fertility and Sterility. 2013;99:37.
- Potdar M, et al. Oocyte vitrification in the 21st century and post-warming fertility outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Reproductive Biomedicine. 2014;29:159.
- Stoop D, et al. Fertility preservation for age-related fertility decline. The Lancet. 2014;384:1311.
- Mesen T, et al. Optimal timing for elective egg freezing. Fertility & Sterility. 2015;103:1551.
- Chung K, et al. Fertility preserving options for women of advancing age. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Duncan FE, et al. Fertility preservation. In: Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Linkeviciute A, et al. Fertility preservation in cancer patients: The global framework. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 2014;40:1019.
- Paulson P. In vitro fertilization. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Lawson A, et al. Psychological counseling of female fertility preservation patients. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology. 2015;33:333.
- Oocyte Cryopreservation: Committee Opinion. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. 2014:584.
- Jensen JR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 21, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 23, 2015.