A pinched nerve occurs when pressure is applied by surrounding tissues. This pressure disrupts the nerve's function, causing pain, tingling or numbness.
June 27, 2014
- Open discectomy. North American Spine Society. http://www.knowyourback.org/Pages/Treatments/SurgicalOptions/LumbarDiscectomy.aspx. Accessed April 19, 2014.
- McKean SC, et al. Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine. New York, N.Y: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=749. Accessed April 20, 2014.
- Chou R. Subacute and chronic low back pain: Surgical treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 20, 2014.
- Hussein M, et al. Surgical technique and effectiveness of microendoscopic discectomy for large uncontained lumbar disc herniations: A prospective, randomized, controlled study with 8 years of follow-up. European Spine Journal. In Press. Accessed April 19, 2014.
- Chang X, et al. The safety and efficacy of minimally invasive discectomy: A meta-analysis of prospective randomised controlled trials. International Orthopaedics. In Press. Accessed April 19, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed April 20, 2014.
- Herniated disk. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00334. Accessed April 19, 2014.