Dental implants are surgically placed in your jawbone, where they serve as the roots of missing teeth. Because the titanium in the implants fuses with your jawbone, the implants won't slip, make noise or cause bone damage the way that fixed bridgework or dentures might. And the materials can't decay like your own teeth that support regular bridgework can.
In general, dental implants may be right for you if you:
- Have one or more missing teeth
- Have a jawbone that's reached full growth
- Have adequate bone to secure the implants or are able to have a bone graft
- Have healthy oral tissues
- Don't have health conditions that will affect bone healing
- Are unable or unwilling to wear dentures
- Want to improve your speech
- Are willing to commit several months to the process
Sept. 16, 2016
- Dental implants FAQs. American College of Prosthodontists. http://www.gotoapro.org/dental-implants-faqs/. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- Dental implant surgery. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. http://myoms.org/assets/uploads/documents/Ebook_dental_implant_R.pdf. Accessed Aug. 6, 2016.
- Dental implants. American Academy of Periodontology. http://www.perio.org/consumer/dental-implants. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Manzano G, et al. Risk factors in early transplant failure: A meta-analysis. Implant Dentistry. 2016;25:1.
- Bone augmentation. American Academy of Implant Dentistry. http://www.aaid-implant.org/dental-implant-options/bone-augmentation. Accessed Aug. 4, 2016.
- Single tooth dental implants. American Academy of Periodontology. http://www.perio.org/consumer/single-tooth-implant. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Implants. Mouth Healthy. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/i/Implants. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Esposito M, et al. Interventions for replacing missing teeth: Different times for loading dental implants. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003878.pub5/abstract. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Monje A, et al. Impact of maintenance therapy for the prevention of peri-implant diseases: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Dental Research. 2016;95:372.
- Multiple tooth implants. American Academy of Periodontology. https://www.perio.org/consumer/multiple-tooth-implant. Accessed Aug. 10, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2015.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2016.