Mayo Clinic researchers in brain conditions (neurology), brain surgery (neurosurgery), mental health conditions (psychiatry), engineering and other areas study deep brain stimulation and research possible treatments for people who have many different conditions. Neurosurgeons collaborate with engineers in the Neural Engineering Laboratory to create new devices or adapt current devices.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on deep brain stimulation on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Read more about deep brain stimulation at Mayo Clinic in Clinical Update.
Nov. 11, 2015
- Miocinovic S, et al. History, applications, and mechanisms of deep brain stimulation. JAMA Neurology. 2013;70:163.
- Karas PJ, et al. Deep brain stimulation: A mechanistic and clinical update. Neurosurgical Focus. 2013;35:1.
- Brunicardi FC, et al., eds. Neurosurgery. In: Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 31, 2015.
- Cleary DR, et al. Deep brain stimulation for psychiatric disorders: Where are we now. Neurosurgical Focus. 2015;38:1.
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/deep_brain_stimulation/deep_brain_stimulation.htm. Accessed Sept. 1, 2015.
- Fenoy AJ, et al. Risks of common complications in deep brain stimulation surgery: Management and avoidance. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2014;120:132.
- Tarsy D. Surgical treatment of Parkinson disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 28, 2015.
- Venkatraghavan L. Anesthesia for patients having deep brain stimulator implantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 28, 2015.
- Timmermann L, et al. Multiple-source current steering in subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease (the VANTAGE study): A non-randomised, prospective, multicentre, open-label study. The Lancet Neurology. 2015;14:693.
- Krack P, et al. Deep brain stimulation: From neurology to psychiatry? Trends in Neurosciences. 2010;33:474.
- Riggs EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 6, 2015.